Study and live in Poland

Study in Poland for International students

Study and live in Poland. Poland is an eastern European country located on the Baltic Sea. The Capital and its largest city is Warsaw.

International students who may wish to pursue a degree in Poland, have little or no worries at all. Poland is known to be an accessible European country. Good news! Polish tertiary institutions have amazing academic antecedents that constantly sees millions of applications received by various institutions of higher learning. Poland has some of the oldest universities in the world.

There are over 400 higher-education institutions in Poland which welcome around 1.5 million students yearly. Study and live in Poland. Amazingly, Polish tertiary institutions offer significantly low tuition fee. It’s worthy of mention that tuition fees are below the European average while the benefits of studying in Poland are high.

Why study in Poland?

One very interesting thing about a study in Poland is that the cost of living is significantly lower than in most of the EU countries. Also, domestic and international students are allowed to work.

Until now foreign students and graduate students studying in Poland on the basis of visa and having no work permit were allowed to work here exclusively in holiday months: July, August and September. Since now not only are they allowed to work the whole year round.

Image result for images for study in poland
                  Why study in Poland?

Mode of Instruction

Some schools and programs offfer in english medium. It’s pertinent you check the mode of teaching before applying. English native speakers are often needed for teaching English as a foreign language in state and private schools. Opportunities may be available through ELS-Bell School of English and Promar–International.

Lists of Universities in Poland with low tuition fees
Are international students allowed to work in Poland?

International students can work in Poland while studying. Study and live in Poland. If you are from the EU you can get part-time work all year round without applying for a permit. For non-EU students, you are elligble to work during July, August and September, or try obtaining a work permit for jobs that continue all year.

The minimum wage in Poland is 480.20 EUR per month (Jul 2018). Study and live in Poland.  A student can earn about 10-15 PLN (2.5 – 3.75 euro) per hour.

Working Hours in Poland:

Average working hours: working hours should not exceed eight hours per day, or 40 hours in a five day working week. Overtime hours are possible, as is night-time work (classed as between 9pm and 7am).

Living Expenses in Poland

There’re available housing options for students to choose from. Study and live in Poland. Students may find options in university residence halls or private rental apartments that can also be shared. Also, universities have services dedicated to students who seek to house off-campus.

The costs of accommodation in Poland are a bit above the European average of 200 – 300 EUR/month. However, private rental apartments have high standards. Below you will find the costs of housing in most of the Polish cities.

Estimated Accomodation Fee

  • For students who live alone: 350-400 EUR/month
  • Students living with partner/child: 450 EUR/month
  • Students living on university campuses: 169 EUR/month

Places to seek for work in Poland

  • Main industries: machine building, food processing and beverages, chemicals, iron and steel, shipbuilding, glass, textiles, coal mining.
  • Industries in decline: agriculture and metalwork.
  • Shortage occupations: sales representatives and general office, industrial, construction and technical workers.
  • Major companies: PKO Bank Polski (regional banks), PGE (electric utilities), Grupa PZU (insurance), Pgnig Group (oil and gas), KGHM Polska Miedz (metals and mining), PKN Orlen (oil and gas), Tauron Group (electric utilities).

How to apply for Jobs in Poland?

You can apply for jobs online through recruitment websites, which can be done from outside of Poland. Study and live in Poland. However, you may need to visit the country for some of the interview stages.

Applications are typically made with a CV and covering letter similar to those used in the UK. The covering letter should be tailored for the individual company stating why you’d like to work in Poland and how your skills and interests match the job advertised. Get more applications and CV advice.

Most recruiters will expect applications in Polish and you should write in this language unless the company has said they’ll accept applications in English (or another language).

Lists of some available job websites in Poland:

  • Info Praca
  • Pracuj

Adverts in English are available from EURES – European Job Mobility Portal.

Work placements and internships

  • Course-related placements starting in the summer, lasting from four weeks up to one year for undergraduates of science, engineering, technology and applied arts courses, are available with IAESTE (International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience).
  • Professional internships in management, technology, education and development are available from 6 weeks–18 months through AIESEC (Association Internationale des Etudiants en Sciences Economiques et Commerciales).
  • You can search for various placements in Poland on Europlacement.
  • Many international companies may offer internships and it is worth looking at their individual websites.

From EU countries don’t need a visa to enter or work in Poland. If you plan to stay for longer than three months you will need to register with the local ‘voivodeship’ office which will issue you with a temporary residence card. These are usually issued for up to two years and you may be able to apply for an extension at the end of it.


Health Insurance

You may have to prove you have health insurance – or a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) – and sufficient money or funds to cover the cost of your stay. Further information can be found at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland.

If you’re from a non-EU country, contact the Polish embassy in the country where you’re currently living for information on whether you require a visa or work permit. If you’re living in the UK, go to the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in London.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *