India is a part of the Asian continent. Asia on the other hand, is fast becoming a study option for international students. The education system in India, is no different from others. The low tuition fee and its quality teachings offered by most schools in India, are some the important factors students consider studying here.
India is a country in South Asia. Mumbai is the largest city. The official languages: Hindi; English: Currency: Indian rupee (₹) (INR)
Calling code: +91.
Programs in India
India is fast becoming popular for study abroad students from all over the world.
International students who wish to study in India can achieve that desire. India, is known for quality health care facilities, aside that, India has improved tremendiously in its education; seeing the medical school in New Delhi apperently recognised as one of the very the best in the world. There are quite a good number of educational institutes in India that can compete with the best educational institutes of the world. For instance, the National Law School of India University is highly regarded, with some of its students being awarded Rhodes Scholarships to Oxford University, and also due to English being the common language of communication.
Why Study in India?
- Most tertiary institutions in India offer low tuition fee. Medical schools are exception to this. India is relatively affordable especially if compared with other top countries.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences(AIIMS) is consistently rated the top medical school in the country. Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) are the top management institutes in India. Indian Technical Education is very strong these days and there are several thousand colleges in India which provides technical education.
- English is widely spoken in India. The medium of communication is a factor to reckon with as language barrier and adaptability is settled.
- Financial Assistance: There are various scholarships, education loans and other financial aids available for studying in India. Students should endeavour to apply on time as most financial aids is basically awarded to students who sent their application early enough and other eligibity factors added.
- Students part time work. Oh yes! Students can find a job to help support themselves while studying in India. Students can get jobs in the health care industry, manufacturing industry. Some of the top brands in India are: Global players such as Daimler Chrysler, General Motors, Ford, LG Electronics, Samsung, Sony, Amway, Tupperware, Pepsico, McDonald’s, IBM, Oracle, Microsoft, Aviva, Nortel, Nokia among others have benefited from their operations in India and have made expansion plans for the country.
Higher Education in India
Higher education in India starts after passing the higher secondary education or the 12th standard. Depending on what you study, attaining your degree in India can take three to five years. Postgraduate courses are generally two to three years long. After completing a postgraduate degree, there is the option of continuing on with doctoral studies and research at various educational institutes.
Due to the limited number of universities in relation to the large number of applicants, universities work with affiliated colleges. These provide education and issue degrees under the name of the affiliated university. There are approximately 20,000 colleges, 42 central universities, 275 State universities, 130 Deemed Universities and 93 Institutes of National importance in the Indian higher education system.
Indian Universities Rankings
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Anna University, Chennai
University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
Jadavpur University, Kolkata
University of Delhi, New Delhi
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore
Savitribai Phule Pune University
Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
How to apply for admission in India
The various schools in India offer undergraduate and graduate programmmes. Degree obtained from any of the accredited schools has global recognition. International students can apply for any course ranging from medical and engineering courses to applied arts courses at most institutions. The government has reserved some seats for foreign students and students from other developing countries through which international students can get admission. For more information related to these admissions, contact the Indian High Commission located in your home country.
Lists of documents to be submitted for admission
International students are required to carry the necessary documents along with them such as admission letter, passport, residence permit etc for entry to India. The international students can avail the residential permit after registering themselves at the Foreigner’s Registration Office (F.R.O) within a period of seven days from their arrival.
Lists of Best Medical colleges in India
Health care is one of the major strengths in India. International students can study medicine in the undergraduate level. All you need do is take the medical entrance test, choosing the correct course or getting enrolled in a proper institute for studying medicine are all essential steps of studying medicine in India.
Listed below are the names of some of the prominent medical institutes of the country.
- All India Institute of medical Science (AIIMS)
- St John’s Medical College Hospital
- Maharashtra University of Health Science
- Christian Medical College and Hospital
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
- All India Institute of Speech and Hearing, Mysore
- Central Institute of Psychiatry, Ranchi
- All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health
- Regional Leprosy Training and Research Institutes
Engineering Colleges in India
India is also a great place to pursue a degree in Engineering. To study Engineering in India, choose any of these institutions.
- Indian Institutes of Technology
- National Institute of Technology
- Birla Institute of Technology Science, Pilani, Rajasthan
- Bhabha Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Haldia Institute of Technology
- Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Regional Engineering Colleges
- School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi
- Vellore Engineering College
- IT-BHU, Varanasi
- National Institute of Advanced Studies in Architecture (NIASA), Pune
- Bengal Engineering College
Students Housing in India
Accommodation in Indian universities is cheap. Living cost varies from place to place depending upon the university and the city.
Accomodation in school hostels are usually served on first come basis. International students can also book their accommodation after being admitted to their desired course or University.