Study in Finland: tuition fee. Finland is a sovereign state in Northern Europe. It is a Nordic country and among the Scandinavia nations. The country has land borders with Sweden to the northwest, Norway to the north, and Russia to the east. To the south is the Gulf of Finland with Estonia on the opposite side.
Tertiary Education in Finland
Finland is a popular choice for international students. Study in Finland: tuition fee. All thanks to the Finnish government who over the years subsidised its higher education fee. Education is subsidized by the state through the ministry of education, and thereby exempting students from fee payment. This also applies to the international degree students and visiting students as well.
Why study in Finland
Finnish universities have amazing academic records. Studying in a low-crime country should be one of the things international students consider. Most universities in Finland are research-intensive in nature, carried out in a condusive environment.
Degree obtained from any Finnish university, is globally recognised.
Recently, tuition fees for non-EU/EEA students has been introduced. Study in Finland: tuition fee. This took effect from autumn 2017 for English-taught Bachelor’s or Master’s programmes. Take note: Only Doctoral level studies will remain free of tuition fees, regardless of your nationality.
Finnish universities and UAS’s offer scholarship options for gifted non-EU/EEA students admitted to their fee-charging Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes. EDUFI Fellowships are available to cover living expenses for Doctoral studies for up to one academic year.
Top Ranked Universities in Finland
Universities in Finland also enjoy good global universityrankings. Here are top 7 universities in Finland.
- University of Helsinki- The University of Helsinki is the oldest and largest institution of academic education in Finland. The University of Helsinki was established in Turku in 1640.
Teaching in English is extensive throughout the university at Master. The scope of programmes is 120 ECTS credits, completed with two years of fulltime study. The University of Helsinki places heavy emphasis on high-quality teaching and research of a top international standard
Tuition and Fee of University of Helsinki
13,000, 15,000 or 18,000 euros per academic year, depending on the academic field of the degree programme.
- Aalto University- Aalto University is a university primarily located in Greater Helsinki, Finland. It was established in 2010 as a merger of three major Finnish universities: the Helsinki University of Technology (established 1849), the Helsinki School of Economics (established 1904), and the University of Art and Design Helsinki (established 1871). The Finnish government, in 2010, set out to create a university that fosters innovation, merging the three institutions into one.
Aalto University offers the highest level of education in business, art and design, architecture, and technology in Finland
Tuition Fee of Aalto university
Study in Finland: tuition fee. Estimated Fee The tuition fee for the bachelor’s programmes is 12 000 euros per academic year and the tuition fee for master’s programmes is 15 000 euros per academic year.
- University of Tampere –The University of Tampere (UTA), is a public university in Tampere, Finland offering undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programmes. It was founded in 1925 in Helsinki as the Civic College.
The university is set to merge with Tampere University of Technology and Tampere University of Applied Sciences in 2019.
The University of Tampere is a multi-discipline university known especially for its research on the society and health
- University of Oulu- The University of Oulu is one of the largest universities in Finland, located in the city of Oulu. It was founded on July 8, 1958. The University of Oulu is an international science university which creates innovation for the future, well-being, and knowledge through multidisciplinary research and education.
Tuition and Fee of Oulu university
The Student Union membership fee is 109 EUR/academic year and includes a student health care fee of 54 EUR.
The fee per term is 54,50 EUR and the health care fee is 27 EUR.
- University of Eastern Finland– is a university in Finland with three campuses in Joensuu, Kuopio, and Savonlinna. It was formed in 2010 by a merger of two previously independent universities- The University of Joensuu and the University of Kuopio.
The university has four faculties: the Philosophical Faculty, the Faculty of Science and Forestry, the Faculty of Health Sciences, and the Faculty of Social Sciences and Business Studies.
Tuition and Fee of University of Eastern Finland
The tuition fees in the programmes range between 8,000 and 15,000 euros. There is variation between the faculties and the programmes.
- University of Turku- The University of Turkuin UTU), is located in Turku in southwestern Finland. The university is a research-led university with seven faculties and internationally acknowledged expertise from humanities to medicine and natural sciences.
Tuition and Fee of University of Turku
The tuition fees for international Master’s degree programmes at the University of Turku ranges between €8,000 – €16,000 depending on the program
- University of Jyväskylä- The University of Jyväskylä is a university in Jyväskylä, Finland. It has its origins in the first Finnish-speaking Teacher Training College (the so-called Teacher Seminary), founded in 1863.
The University of Jyväskylä offers high-quality, research-based master’s degree programmes in English in its fields of special expertise.
Tuition and Fee
Study in Finland: tuition fee. The University of Jyväskylä charges tuition fees of EUR 8,000–12,000 from students who are liable to pay tuition fees.
How to Apply for Aedmission
Undergraduate application procedure
All admission applications are done through the university admissions Finland’s my UAF service. This service is free, all you need do is create anwith them and start your admission application.
All undergraduate applicants will be expected to write an entrance examination on getting to Finland. Entrance examinations are the sole avenue to undergraduate programme at Finnish universities. This policy applies to all applicants both domestic and international students. Also note that this entrance examination is a written, subject related test with one or several books to read. The minimum point requirements are defined by the admissions board of the university.
Application period for undergraduate studies in Finland is usually between March and April. Note that the undergraduate studies are only available in Finnish or Swedish languages.
Admission period for postgraduate studies begins November and closes 31 January at 16.00 [GMT]. Please note that degree programmes have different deadlines, so you have to check deadlines from the university webpage to know when to send your application.
Students Living Cost
Generally, the cost of living in Finland is very cheap. Although, it depends on individual’s spending habbits. Study in Finland: tuition fee. Rent in the student dormitory is about 300 Euros a month. Launch at the unicafe student cafeterias costs between 2.30 and 4.30 Euros for undergraduate students and 4.25 and 6.20 for postgraduate students.